Of course it is.
I don’t know if you do remember this, but some women magazines have always had a dressing up on a budget section. The spread was of a couple of pages, where on one side there would be an outfit worn by a celebrity, with each item’s brand and price, and on the other side there would be an almost similar outfit but the items are from less expensive brands. I actually remember this from watching Gwyneth Paltrow’s “View From The Top” (Yes, I did watch it…) as well.
We still all want to dress up like a celebrity, now more than ever, but our bank accounts won’t allow it. Not to dramatize the situation, but this is the harsh reality every fashionista has to live with. Thankfully, for every problem there is always a solution, and here there a many. You just need to do your research, and be a smart shopper, and you can even end up with the same brands as your favorite celebrities, and not only their less expensive versions.
There are many options to choose from to shop on a budget, for some countries more than others, unfortunately. Here are a few.
- Pick the brands (any brands that come to your mind) that you would like to shop from, and subscribe to their newsletters. Here, you receive emails that inform you when there are sales, or even sample sales. You will be amazed at how often they happen.
- In addition to brands, you can also register in other shopping platforms, such as Net A Porter. Once again, you are kept in the loop for any kind of sale.
- I find fraternizing with the sales people at your favorite stores also a good trick. Because if you ask, they can notify you sometimes just by texting you, about an impromptu sale.
- If there are any renowned thrift shops that you know of, don’t shy away from checking them out from time to time. You can (rarely but it happens) stumble on a unique and precious piece. Many fashion editors swear by this shopping habit.
- There are many fashion blogs out there that can keep you up to date on affordable shopping. The budget fashionista is one of them.
- And of course, don’t forget the two major sales of the year; January and July. If you want to get the most of it, you should go more than once. Because in addition to the prices that keep dropping all along the sale, retailers keep adding items.
These tips should help you keep up with the likes of Olivia Palermo or Leandra Medine. Nevertheless, don’t forget to splurge on some items from time to time (I do it for shoes and bags), we only live once, so better do it in style.
Featured Image Courtesy of iStock